Serve the World
About Poplar Springs Baptist Church
Established in 1805, Poplar Springs Baptist Church recently celebrated its 200th birthday in August of 2005. For more than two centuries, Poplar Springs has been a lighthouse in the community of Gumlog section of Lavonia, Ga., sharing the gospel and seeking to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
Poplar Springs is known as the “Mother Church” of the Tugalo Baptist Association. On September 12, 1818, delegates from 13 churches met at Poplar Springs to form the Tugalo Baptist Association of the Southern Baptist Convention.
The old “white” auditorium was erected in 1873 and still functions as a meeting place for the youth. The educational building in the back of the white auditorium was built in 1955 and is currently used for Sunday school classrooms. In 1997, Poplar Springs completed a new worship center with sanctuary and balcony, baptistry, classrooms, and a multi-purpose narthex for a little over $1.2 million.
Moving into its third century of existence, Poplar Springs continues to fulfill the Great Commission to make disciples of Jesus Christ. Poplar Springs proudly remains a member church of the Tugalo Baptist Association, Georgia Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention. On January 21, 2007, Jason DeFoor became Poplar Springs’ 38th pastor. Having been a Missions Pastor before coming to Poplar Springs, his heart is to lead Poplar Springs to have an even greater passion for missions and evangelism while faithfully preaching the whole counsel of the Word of God.
Poplar Springs is a church family committed to bringing God the maximum amount of glory connecting people with Him and to other believers.
We seek to do so through faithful teaching and preaching of God’s word, by praising Christ together through corporate worship, by sharing Christ in our community and around the world, by building disciples in an atmosphere of love, and by caring for the needs of others in order to convey the love of Christ in a tangible way.